Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Luke 15:11-32

15:21 "And the son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight; I am no longer worthy to be called your son.' "

Jesus tells the parable of the prodigal son in response to the Pharisees' disdain towards sinners.

The point of this parable is the father's reaction in that Jesus is trying to show God's desire for the return of His wayward children. But in this story, we see a picture of what our attitude should be when we are the wayward child in question.

When we repent at the moment of salvation, and the subsequent times after being saved, we are to lower ourselves and beg forgiveness. I don't think people have a problem with this with the initial repentance since the impetus of true salvation is the Holy Spirit weighing our guilt on us to drive us to God. But for someone like me who is already saved, do I humble myself as I first did to the point the prodigal son does? Do I merely say "I messed up, I'm sorry. I'll try not to do it again" or do I cry "Father, I have sinned against heaven and and in Your sight; I am no longer worthy to be called Your son." ?

There is comfort in knowing that God will never forsake me and will always take me back, but the feeling should still be there that I don't deserve it. I need to repent more promptly and with more humility and disgust of what I've done.

Lord, forgive me my sins. Every stumble is one more weight on Your Son at the cross, and I don't want any part of it. Take me back and cleanse me. Thank you for Your forgiveness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dave,
There are a lot who examine some parables more on a national perspective than a personal one. In this case, the gentiles become the prodical son and it is Israel who is the bothered, troubled son who appears to never really some key things about his relationship with his own father.

Dad