Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Luke 18:18-43

18:27 "But He said, 'The things that are impossible with people are possible with God.' "

Prior to this verse, Jesus made an observation about the innate difficulty for rich persons to become saved. His disciples ask with desperation "who can be saved?", to which Jesus gives this response.

I think this verse is often misused to apply to ministry, healing, or whatever the reader is wanting God to accomplish, but it should be noted Jesus is specifically talking about salvation.

I just recently watched a special on CNN talking about sexual issues and how they played out in religious circles. One of the segments focused on homosexuality and ministries that aim to "cure" homosexuals. While I appreciated the presence of evangelicals devoted to ministering to gays in love, I was bothered by the whole mindset of the approach. One of the key groups involved in this segment was the National Association for Research and Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH). Their position is that homosexuality is mainly a result of "psychological (family, peer and social) influences" (this is a quote from their site http://www.narth.com/menus/positionstatements.html).

This framed the whole discussion on this show and everyone spoke about the "mental illness" and administrating a "cure". Only at the very end of the show when they interviewed Ken Hutcherson from Antioch Bible Church was there a mention of sin. The problem with treating gay people as victims of mental illness is that it sidesteps the real danger. These people need salvation! While the Bible does hold homosexual acts in higher contempt and shows a record on God's part of harsher punishment, from a punitive standpoint the sin is no better or worse than any other sin. Any impurity creates a rift between man and God and all have sinned. We all need Christ.

The reason this came to mind when contemplating this verse relates to my work experience at Dick's Drive-In in Seattle. I worked alongside a gay man (we'll pretend his name is Rick) and to my astonishment he asked me one day "Dave, what does the Bible say about being gay?" Talk about an open door! I told him in as clear yet loving words as I could find that the Bible teaches homosexuality is a sin. Rick told me he knew that, but that he really didn't think he could change. I told him that he was right. He couldn't. I also told Rick that I wasn't able to change my sinful self either.

But Christ was able to change me.

I assured Rick that if he gave his life to the Lord, that God would begin a work in him to rid him of all sin including being gay. It wouldn't be easy or instant, but God is always faithful to complete the good work He begins in us. I told Rick that nothing was impossible for God and that Christ could save even a gay man.

He lost his job soon after that discussion, but I frequently pray that I will meet him in heaven and find out that God used that interaction to lead Rick to the Lord. And for those reading this, if you are aware of sin in your life, be it homosexuality, lies, lust, greed, or whatever, don't despair. It is impossible for you to save yourself, but with God, it is possible. Run to him.

Lord, thank You for Your power over sin. Thank You for saving me. Wherever Rick is right now, remind him of this truth and if he hasn't already, draw his heart to Yourself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Post Dave!!! Good on you for sharing the truth with your co-worker!!!

mighty dr

Rachel said...

I'm impressed by your comment to Rick. It's good to give truth in a loving way! Something I think we all work to do.

Love, Rachel