Monday, May 5, 2008

1 Kings 10,11

11:2 "...the LORD had said to the sons of Israel, 'You shall not associate with [foreign women], nor shall they associate with you, for they will surely turn your heart away after their gods.' Solomon held fast to these in love."

The writer summarizes the downfall of Solomon.

Chapter 10 is the pinnacle of Solomon's success. He is blessed with fullness of wisdom and riches. Everyone wants to meet him to get a piece of wisdom to treasure for themselves. The Queen of Sheba is amazed at all he possesses and gives glory to God. He made "silver as common as stones in Jerusalem" for crying out loud! It reminds me of Tevye in "Fiddler on the Roof" singing "If I were a rich man..."

But how quickly it all comes crashing down.

God punishes Solomon by giving him headaches in the form of enemies all around Israel, including one from his own ranks. This former servant of Solomon, Jeroboam, is also revealed to be the one who will rule over the majority of Israel after Solomon's passing, leaving only Judah under the reign of David's lineage. Stress and shame galore which is traced back to a heart led astray from God. Solomon's downfall was in diverting his affections from God to the fancies of his many wives. While this may be enough application for those of you currently hanging out with worshippers of Ashtoreth, the rest of us should dig deeper into the story for our lesson.

How did Solomon get to that position of turning from God? One would argue that he did not stand up to the machinations of his foreign wives for what he knew to be right... and that one would be correct. Another would argue he should never have taken the foreign wives in the first place... and that one would be correct too. I think the answer is in 11:2. I put forth that the beginning of the end for Solomon began before all that - Solomon's doom was that he didn't take God's word seriously. Instead of hungering for God's messages of truth, he was hungry for Hittites.

So what do I put before God's word? While my journaling has been lacking recently, I have been reading my Bible, but certainly not as often or as intensely as I (or more importantly, God) would like. I know there were times when I could have better spent my time this last week, but I didn't do what I was supposed to do... most of the time out of laziness.

I just celebrated my 26th birthday recently and was reflecting on the blessings I have that many people don't reach by 26. Five years of marriage to a wonderful wife, two awesome kids and a third on the way, a degree from the UW, and our first house. I look at all that and I see 1 Kings chapter 10, a la Dave. I don't want a chapter 11, and I don't mean in the legal sense (although that would stink, too).

Lord, help me to take Your word seriously. Help me to hunger for Your truth and to be bored with worthless pastimes. Give me the maturity to crave Your teaching like the air I breathe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Writing in the blog isn't as important as reading the word. (Which I know you know, but just thought I'd say Amen to your comments.) Solomon is also a good example of someone who seemed to begin well and finished poorly because he ignored the very wisdom that he desired and was given by God. I find that frightening that God's blessing can sometimes distract us from the Giver of that blessing.
Dad

Ryan said...

Thanks for posting these comments, Dave. They were a real encouragement to me today (as you always are!). I praise God for the wisdom He has given you and join you in prayer for your faithful perseverance.