Sunday, May 18, 2008

2 Kings 20, 21, 22

Today's reading was done from my brand new ESV Bible. Thanks Ryan!

2 Kings 22:11 "When the king heard the words of the Book of the Law, he tore his clothes"

King Josiah hears the words of God for the first time and reacts with fear and penitence.

I did the math and found out that Josiah was 26 when this happened... the same age as me. That got me thinking; what if the Bible I was just given today was my first Bible? Well, first of all, I'll go out on a limb and assume I wouldn't be a believer. My family would probably be a mess (and might not even exist altogether!). Many areas of my life would be disgusting junk heaps. I probably wouldn't know many of the dear people I count as friends today. Yet I know I take this book for granted sometimes.

I'm not at all suggesting we do this, but I wonder how many people would have a greater appreciation for the Bible if they had to live without it for a couple months or years. Josiah instantly knew what he had been missing and reacted just as God wanted him to. With humility and a penitent heart. I'm trying to think of the last time I felt cut to the quick after reading a passage or hearing a convicting sermon... ok, it was actually quite recently.

If you're a fundamentalist like me (and I don't mean in the "suicide bomber" sense of the word), you probably struggle with the balance of making truth come before experience and emotion, yet not pushing emotions out of the picture completely. We need to come to the word completely and allow it to perform it's convicting work in us. We should use proper study and exegesis to mine truth, but when the truth slaps you in the face, take a second to stop studying and talk to God about it.

If you were "slapped" by James 1:20, pray for forgiveness for a temper that stunts your spiritual growth. If you were "slapped" by Psalm 65:1-4, praise your God for choosing you and saving you. This should be a conversation, God talks through His word, we respond through prayer and application. Don't be afraid to show some emotion!

Lord, thank You for Your Word! Let me be consumed with Your words and let them convict me and lift me up. Let me meditate on Your precepts and fix my eyes on Your ways. Let me delight in Your statutes and not forget Your word.

No comments: