Tuesday, May 20, 2008

John 7:32-53

7:52a "They replied, 'Are you from Galilee too?'..."

The Pharisees rebuke Nicodemus for defending Jesus.

Prior to this outburst at Nicodemus, the Pharisees scold the men they sent to arrest Jesus by asking them if they have "also been deceived?" It struck me as comical in a sense that they hate Jesus so much that they regard anyone moved by the obvious power in His message as dolts. It really seems that the implication of their two statements is to ask "are you stupid?" Galileans unfortunately had a stereotype of being uneducated manual labor-types.

This points to a problem I have with sharing my faith. Among like minded brethren, I love discussing my faith and God's holy Word. Among unbelievers, however, I'm not as comfortable because I expect the same reaction as with the Pharisees. Mind you, I don't doubt the truth of the Bible, but I expect scoffing from those who do doubt, and in all truthfulness, I don't want a reputation of idiocy. To avoid beating around the bush, I have a pride issue. I wholeheartedly believe my faith is true saving faith, but I still care about spiritually blind people calling me stupid.

Boy, when you write it out like that... I actually do sound stupid.

So, to rectify my problem (after I repent to God), I'm going to meditate on 1 Cor. 1:18 tonight and for however long it takes to drive out this preoccupation with what my unsaved acquaintances think of me.

"For the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God."

Who cares what they think!? They think it's stupid because they can't understand it because they don't have the Holy Spirit because they're lost! I should react to derision with pity and prayer, not shame.

Lord, help me to be quick to boast about You and Your salvation. Help me to be bold in proclaiming You and Your gospel. Draw in the hearts of the mockers and open their eyes to Your truth and glory.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I think it's normal for everyone to be on their guard a little when talking to unsaved people. I have been feeling convicted about not speaking up at work more. Everyone knows I'm a Christian and that Luke and I are invovled at church, but I don't really just make bold statements to my co-workers. Yesterday, God gave me the chance though. My boss was talking about what everyone neeeds socially, (like better education, healthcare, etc.) Finally I just said that all people need is Jesus. (One of those things that's in your head and you keep thinking to yourself to say it.) Then my boss said, "Yeah, that works for some people." I felt like screaming! Some people just don't see how lost they are. We talked a little bit more after that, but needless to say, I wasn't able to lead him to Christ. But I've been praying about the same thing, to boast more about Christ. It's what in my heart, so why don't I share it more? Anyway, the verse I try to remember is Romans 1:16- "For I am ot ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek." I had to realize that it doesn't matter people's opinion about me, but that they are hearing the good news. Well, just thought I would write a little something to say I know how you feel. Talk to you later,
Love, Rachel