Wednesday, June 4, 2008

John 14

14:6 "Jesus said to him, 'I am the way , and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.' "

Jesus gives this famous response to Thomas' comment about not knowing how to get to where Jesus was going.

And who says guys don't ask for directions?

I read this passage (which I have read many times before), and a light bulb went off. I went back and read over what Jesus said a couple times and realized something amazing! Jesus says that the way to Him is Him! In this account is the spirit and thought behind Colossians 1:19 and the whole book of Hebrews. Christ is everything! Think about how Jesus describes Himself in this chapter:

- The Preparer of a place for His children
- The Redeemer who will come back for us
- The Destination we are bound for
- The Path to the destination
- The Truth
- The Life
- The One who introduces us to God the Father
- The Knowledge of God
- The Presence of God
- The Revelation of God
- The Glory of God
- The Agent of God's power
- The Mediator of God and man
- The Sustainer of His children

Good grief! Jesus is everything we need and (should) want! I feel like I'm using too many exclamation points, but I can't help it! I read this and I wonder why I ever have feelings of wanting more out of areas of my life. I have the ultimate source of all that is good dwelling inside me. I would do well to go to Christ and try to draw on the depths of what He is offering me. If I would just fill up more of my life with Him instead of other things, I would never feel wanting.

Lord, You are all I need. You are the fullness. Fill me with that fullness and help me seek the depths of the good gifts you have given me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good observations about how Jesus describes Himself in that chapter. Seeing all the descriptions put together like that is very impressive - thanks.

Dad