Sunday, January 3, 2010

Genesis 6,7,8

8:20 "Then Noah built an altar to the LORD and took some of every clean animal and some of every clean bird and offered burnt offerings on the altar"

After Noah and company unload from the Ark, Noah presents a burnt offering to God and it is described as a "pleasing aroma" to the Lord. My whole life, I've been mildly puzzled about why God told Noah to bring seven pairs of every clean animal on the ark, but only two of the unclean animals. Then today, when I was reading, it struck me for the first time: "If Noah sacrificed animals right when he got off the boat, wouldn't they be extinct?" Give time for the hamster to turn the wheel in my brain... I get it now! Once again, God proves that He knows what He's doing.

I don't know if I'm just dense or if I never took the time figure out what was going on here, but I never saw this here before. The Word of God truly is living and active. This is so cool! God provided the sacrifice! Just like the ram in the thicket with Abraham and Isaac, just like Christ in a manger, God provides the sacrifice. Pastor was preaching on thankfulness this morning and it's fitting to what I found in the Word today. Whether it's my paycheck to allow me to give back to the Lord, or Jesus being sent to pay for my sins, I can be thankful that God provides the sacrifices he desires and requires. Hallelujah!

Lord, thank You for providing the sacrifices you require! Thank You for your lovingkindness and your faithfulness!

No comments: