Monday, January 4, 2010

Matthew 4:5,6

"Then the devil took Him... and said to Him, 'If You are the Son of God, throw yourself down, for it is written, "He will command His angels concerning you," ' "

I found this to be a scary reminder of how resourceful the enemy can be. We've heard of the many tactics of the devil, but here he's using scripture, which is frightening. I've encountered many people who have misinterpreted God's Word, but I've never really looked at it as a scheme of Satan. 

I am extremely blessed to have spent the last 18 years in a church that puts the study of Scripture of foremost importance. Even so, I need to guard against lazy reading and falling victim to Satan using the Bible against me.  Many evil purposes in history have been predicated on supposed adherence to the Word of God (Joseph Smith comes to mind...) 

Lord, thank You for Your holy Word. Help me to approach it with respect and submission to Your Spirit guiding me into truth. 

No comments: