Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Matthew 5:13

"You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost it's taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people's feet."

I was thinking about the implicatons of being referred to as "salt". There are concepts of flavor and preservation, but what it comes down to for me is having distinct positive qualities that are brought into a situation that needs them. I only add seasoning to food because that seasoning brings a flavor to the dish that is lacking. If the food already tastes like paprika, why would I add more paprika?

I need to make sure I am mindful of how much I "taste" like the world. Just yesterday I struggled with a difficult day and had to wrestle with grumbling and complaining or having a joyful disposition. Those closest to me know how I fared. If I cannot be distinguished from the rest of the world, God will have no use for me and throw me out to be trampled. It's a hard task (impossible, really), but thankfully our Lord has given us His Word and His Spirit to provide the means and the strength to be "salty".

Lord, thank You for Your Holy Spirit. Help me to submit to Him and to bring Your "flavor" to those around me. Amen.

No comments: