Friday, January 1, 2010

Matthew 1

1:1 "The book of the genealogy of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham."

It would be easy to read this first verse as part of the physical lineage of Christ, but it's significant that Jesus is first and foremost identified with David and Abraham. David and Abraham are symbolic of the promises God has made to Israel. Abraham was promised to have a family line that would bring blessing to the entire world (Gen 22:18), and David was promised to have a family line that would have an enduring kingdom (2 Sam 7:16). Matthew begins his book by presenting Jesus as the culmination of these promises.

I would do well to remember that our God makes and, more importantly, keeps promises. "I will never leave you or forsake you"; "and I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ"; "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you". If I spent more time thinking about the promises God has made, I will be more aware of how he is keeping those promises and will in turn be able to more effectively praise Him.

Lord, thank You for Your promises and Your faithfulness. Help me to be less consumed with what I am doing in this world and more consumed with what You are doing in this world

No comments: