Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Luke 1:1-23

1:22 "But when he came out, he was unable to speak to them..."

Zacharias is punished for not believing Gabriel's message of the impending conception of John.

First of all, I apologize to anyone who reads this blog for not posting recently. I've been doing the reading, but not the journaling. I can offer no excuse except laziness, but I appreciate your prayers.

Anyway, I was thinking, "what would it be like to not be able to talk for nine months?" That would be rough, especially considering I make my living in a call center. Aside from my livelihood, I don't think I would very much enjoy not being able to talk. I couldn't react to comments, offer my opinion, or argue my thoughts to others. And that's probably the point of Zacharias' punishment. I would be surprised if Zacharias, while mute for those nine months, did not come across Proverbs 10:19 and chuckle (silently):

"When there are many words, transgression is unavoidable, But he who restrains his lips is wise."

It would probably do us good to shut our mouths more often and like James tells us, be quick to hear and slow to speak. This would be especially wise when it is God who is speaking. When the Word tells us what to do, instead of being quick to make excuses or cast doubt on our ability to obey, we should listen and trust God to work it out.

Lord, help me to stop talking when I should be listening. Help me to accept that what I have to say is never as important as what You have to say. When I do speak, let them be Your words.

2 comments:

Keren said...

Hey Dave...I just got the email on Tova, our thoughts and prayers are with your family

Dave Allen said...

Very much appreciated, Keren.

Praise God for indications before she died that Tova's heart belonged to Him; pray for comfort for her parents and sister.

Dave