Monday, March 10, 2008

Mark 13:1-13

13:2 "And Jesus said to him, 'Do you see these great buildings? Not one stone will be left upon another which will not be torn down.' "

Jesus reacts to a disciple's reflection on the beauty and grandeur of the temple.

I am a Husky and I'm proud of it. I don't care about collegiate sports, mind you, I am proud to be a graduate of the University of Washington. I would frequently walk from my bus stop off of Campus Drive NW, and cross the footbridge over 15th Street to get to school. I would pass the towering statue of George Washington, pass Odegaard Library, into Red Square, glance at Kane Hall, and walk around Suzzalo Library. If you have not had the privilege to tour the campus of the UW, let my explain to you that these are huge buildings that cause one to pause at their stature. I would often walk through campus and reflect on how amazing it was that so many people over the years had conspired together to coordinate efforts, time, and funds to create such a magnificent institution as the UW dedicated to educating it's guests. And I was proud to now be a part of that history.

I have to remind myself, however, that it will all burn one day, and that God will destroy the wisdom of the wise. I shouldn't get too attached or proud of earthly things. My citizenship is in heaven, and I should be proud to be a part of that. I still maintain that human achievement brings glory to God by virtue of the fact that He created those able to accomplish such feats. Have we ever created anything that could in turn create? But no matter what, glory must always be turned to God because without Him, nothing would exist.

Lord, help me to reserve my deepest affections for You and Your plan. Help me to appreciate the beauties of this world, but only as a picture of Your grace and mercy. Thank You for Your many blessings.

No comments: