Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Mark 10:1-31

10:27 "Looking at them, Jesus said, 'With people it is impossible, but not with God; for all things are possible with God.' "

Jesus responds to the question of "who can be saved?"

This is another verse that will frequently be taken out of context. While it is true that God can cure any sickness, or raise any amount of funds for a need, or place any political leader in office, this verse is speaking about leading a lost soul to salvation.

I needed to read this verse. I have been praying ardently for the salvation of two people I know. I have been praying daily for a couple of years now and both of them seem to be on a crash course for doom. Both have been fully exposed to the gospel, but neither seem to have the saving light within them. One may not have very long to make the decision.

It's hard, because since it's not a matter of better explaining the facts to them, there is nothing I can do but pray for a turning of the heart. Many times I have a hard time seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. "What if they don't get saved, God? Where's the glory for Your name in that?" It's an honest question that I may not get the answer to until I get to that point. Although I sincerely hope I don't have to ask that question.

But hope springs eternal in this verse. It is impossible for these two people, of their own accord, to be saved. But nothing is impossible for God! No matter how entrenched they are in their own self-focus, God can break through, shine the light of His grace and mercy on them and claim them as His own! Hallelujah, what a thought! I daydream of letting all those around me know about how God broke the heart these people and saved their lives. I really hope I see it happen; if not I know there will still be a lesson there. Whatever the case, I will continue to pray to the only one who can even do anything about it.

Lord, save these two people who weigh on my heart so much. Break the crust around their hearts and lead them to Your comfort. Reveal to them their need for a savior change their lives. Above all, let Your name be glorified.

No comments: