Saturday, March 8, 2008

Mark 12:1-27

12:1 "And He began to speak to them in parables: 'A man planted a vineyard and put a wall around it, and dug a vat under the wine press and built a tower, and rented it out to vine-growers and went on a journey.' "

Jesus uses a parable to show how God's children have mistreated His messengers and His Son in the midst of His kindness and the punishment they will receive for it.

What struck me was the "rented it out" part. I probably need a little more exegetical help to properly define just what the vineyard is in this parable, but I generally take it as the blessings of God. Of the top of my head, it could very well be the kingdom of heaven, christian ministry, or our earthly lives. As I said, I view it as the blessings of God (which pretty much encompasses all that other stuff). My point is that it is "rented" to us, we don't own it.

I know a few believers that have this idea that they deserve or they've earned the blessings of God. That is not so. This is our Father's world, and everything in it is His to give... or take away. I came away from this passage reminded not to get boastful of myself and my standing with God, but to be boastful of God Himself and how He has spent inordinate grace on a dirtbag like me.

Lord, help me to remember You are the source of every good gift. Help me to be thankful for Your blessings. Help me to use the blessings You give me to magnify Your name around me.

No comments: