Friday, February 1, 2008

Exodus 25,26

25:2 "Tell the sons of Israel to raise a contribution for Me; from every man whose heart moves him you shall raise My contribution."

In this verse is the fundamental rule of giving. It should be motivated from within the heart.

When I was in high school, I had a really messed up idea of what it meant to give to the Lord. I used to not give anything, then every once in a while I would cut a big check and figure that would "cover" the last couple of months. If anyone reading this does that, knock it off! The flaw in that logic is the thought that God needs your money. God doesn't need anything from us! He can work His holy will without any help from anyone. The purpose of giving is to deepen the relationship between God and I by showing God that I understand all my blessings are from Him. It also shows God that I depend on Him. My budget wouldn't be nearly as tight if I didn't give (in theory), but giving to God first puts my dependence on Him.

But I do need to guard against giving automatically. Now that my giving is regular instead of sporadic, I can tend to give without thinking. I need to make sure I am moved from the heart.

Lord, thank You for all Your blessings. Help me to give with a grateful and worshipful attitude. Thank You for the privilege of being able to take part in Your plans on earth.

No comments: