Monday, February 4, 2008

Matthew 23:1-22

23:5 "But they do all their deeds to be noticed by men; for they broaden their phylacteries and lengthen the tassels of their garments."

The Pharisees were emphasizing the things about them that conveyed their religious prowess to garner attention and respect.

I was trying to think if I've even done something like this and I have! I broadened my phylactery! When you say it that way, it sounds like a misdemeanor...

I took my "Bible Doctrine" textbook to work one day, and I was passing by a guy I've heard is a believer, but I don't have opportunity to talk to much. I (almost subconsciously) turned my book so that the title was on the outside and clearly visible. I realize that I was trying to invoke a reaction in his thoughts like "Wow! That guy studies Bible doctrine!" Taking biblical materials to work isn't wrong. Letting people see your desire to study the Lord isn't wrong. Having an attitude that people should be impressed with me for all that is wrong.

Lord, help me to be pure in my study of You. Help me to desire to know You, not to gain stature among men. Help me to humble myself whenever possible for Your glory.

No comments: