Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Exodus 39,40

40:34 "Then the cloud covered the tent of meeting, and the glory of the LORD filled the tabernacle."

The era of the tribe of Israel being physically led by the presense of God begins.

I would be surprised if anyone journaling didn't write about this verse. To have the very presense of God in your midst! Imagine you wake up, get breakfast, lumber about your front room, look outside, see the glory of God in your front yard, wake the kids, get dressed. Yet I'm already thinking ahead to all the examples of weak faith they displayed. How could people live never more than a short walk from God's transcendent glory and get scared, complacent, or unfaithful?

But before we start exalting ourselves over these Israelites (see the last post on Matthew), let's remember the last time we demonstrated fear, apathy, or unfaithfulness. Now consider that you don't have a tabernacle with God's glory indwelling, but you know what you do have (if you're a believer)? The Holy Spirit.

Consider this: the Holy Spirit is a person of the trinity. Equal in importance in every way to God the Father and God the Son. The Holy Spirit is fully God. And the Holy Spirit is inside you and me. That's closer than the Jews had! We are the tabernacle! Let that sink in for a minute! So we have no excuse for our shortcomings. Let's make sure that we are cognizant of the indwelling deity that we are answerable to. Let that guide our thoughts, actions, and words.

Lord, help me to always remember You are nearer to me than I am to myself. Help me to be a worthy tabernacle to the cause of Your glory.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Hi Dave! I have a blog now, so you can leave me messages now!

Love you, Rachel