Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Mark 3:1-21

3:16a "And He appointed the twelve..."

Jesus chooses the famous twelve disciples to prepare for preaching and casting out of demons.

The thing my mind lingered on here was that Jesus chose who he wanted for specific purposes. Our God is deliberate. Our God is purposeful. The twelve did not choose themselves, nor did a committee vote on the appointments. They were not designated by genealogy or stature, nor were they recognized as the best suited for the job. They were appointed because Jesus chose them. That's it. We can't read anything more into it, but that Jesus had and has a plan and He follows it.

And aren't you glad? I've had plans for important things cancelled enough times to appreciate something you can count on. God made up His mind a long time ago and is just in the course of working it out. "Que sera, sera" as Doris Day would say. Our attitude, however, shouldn't be melancholy apathy, but reassuring confidence. Whatever will be, will be because God chose to do so and it is the best possible plan for the outcome of glorifying God's name. Ah... maybe that's the problem. Maybe we can't be satisfied with God's plan because it works to God's glory and not our own. There are some things in my life that I am waiting to be resolved or fixed; I know that I need to continuously ask myself if I'm impatiently waiting for a resolution that will make me happy or if I'm patiently waiting for the resolution that will happen that glorifies God.

Lord, thank You for choosing me. I didn't deserve it, but here I am. Thank You for being a God with a plan and a purpose. Please help me to serve You and play the part in Your plan that You have chosen for me.

No comments: