Sunday, February 10, 2008

Matthew 26:1-19

26:13 "Truly I say to you, wherever this gospel is preached in the whole world, what this woman has done will also be spoken of in memory of her."

Jesus rebukes His disciples for calling a woman's ministry to Him a "waste".

We should all have humility. If I feel I've accomplished something spectacular, I should always err on the side of keeping it to myself. Otherwise, I'll be tempted to glorify Dave instead of God.

But...

We should celebrate the great accomplishments of others. Or should I say the great accomplishments that God has done through others. In the last year or so, I've been to some events that highlighted the ministry of some great soldiers in the faith I know. It's so refreshing after being subjected to the global media constantly celebrating immorality, materialism, and plain ol' evil. So with that in mind, here are a couple of my personal spiritual heroes (in no particular order):

Roy and Elvia Sprague
My grandparents; these people are so consumed with God and so detached from the world (in the fleshly sense, not like hermits or something)! I really hope I can get to the kind of world view they have where everything is seen through the gospel.

Pastor Frank
I've now lived in Washington for about 15 years. One of the biggest constants in that time has been the preaching of Frank Emrich. And it doesn't really matter that he's been in one place that long (plenty of people do that), but it's the fact that throughout those 15 years he's remained whole-heartedly dedicated to the Word. He is one of the best resources for biblical wisdom I have.

Bob and Judi Allen
My parents; our family has been through more logistical changes than most. Houses, ministries, jobs, the size of the family... something always seems to be changing. And if you know my mom, you know she doesn't especially like change. Nevertheless, they are always a constant source of Jesus-like love and support.

Ryan Wood
I've been around Ryan pretty much since he decided to enter ministry. I've borne witness to a lot of his successes and failures. He has been instrumental in my own spiritual walk and is always on hand to encourage and challenge me.

There are plenty of other great spiritual giants I've known in my life, but you probably wouldn't keep reading if I went on. But if you know any of these people, please say a prayer and thank God for blessing you with their acquaintance. And then get to know them a little more.

Lord, thank You for the body of Your church. Thank You for the gems that are the faithful servants to Your glory. Let me look to those who effectively serve You to be my heroes instead of the heroes of the world. Please watch over these heroes of mine and continue to support them and use them for Your great purpose.

No comments: