Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Mark 7:1-13

7:7 "But in vain do they worship Me; teaching as doctrines the precepts of men."

Jesus rebukes the Pharisees for perverting and twisting the Law of God to their whim.

So I was trying to think of a common day example of this idea. What is one way that I or someone I have come in contact with have taught a "precept of man" as doctrine?

....

Ok, I got one. I don't often hear this thought verbalized, but it seems to be a common sentiment among church-goers. There are many people who decide what church to go to (or whether to attend at all) based on what they will get out of it. In other words, they ask "how will this church meet my needs?" A friend of mine actually asked us once if "our church was meeting our needs". That statement rubbed my fur the wrong way, so to speak.

The local church is a collection of believers that meet regularly to worship God and study His word. The members of that church have a responsibility to step up and meet the needs of the body, but should not have the attitude that they are attending to have their own needs met. It's like marriage, I am responsible for meeting my wife's needs and vice versa. When we start thinking about ourselves, it all goes wrong.

"Do not merely look out for you own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who... emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant" (Phil. 2:4,5,7a)

When you go to church, are you thinking "gee, I wish someone would do this or that for me", or are you thinking "what can I do for someone here?" Think about it.

Lord, help me to cling to Your word and not the pervasive thoughts and attitudes of the world. In that, help me to seek to build up and support the church as you will without concern for my own needs. Help me to trust You to take care of all my needs.

No comments: