Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Matthew 27:1-31

27:29 "And after twisting together a crown of thorns, they put it on His head, and a reed in His right hand; and they knelt down before Him and mocked Him, saying, 'Hail, King of the Jews!' "

Roman guards have some fun with Jesus before He is given over to the crowd for crucifixion.

The thought I had when I read this is the picture of men, kneeling to their Maker, mocking and slapping Him around, then fast-forwarding to the day of judgment when they will bow again. That second time there will be no laughing. There will be no mockery. The same One they slapped and beat will eject them into the pit of fire (assuming none of them got saved after this event... if so, I'd like to talk to that guy in heaven).

It just reminded me of 2 Peter 3 which talks about the patience of God. Here's verse 7:

"But by His word the present heavens and earth are being reserved for fire, kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men."

I don't know about you, but I sure wouldn't want to slap around the only Being between me and the fires of hell. Yet so many people play around with God thinking that the absence of judgment mean He is a God of complacency or weakness. If you are one of these people, do not doubt God's righteousness and power. You will account for your choices in this life. Reading this verse made me feel like I was watching a horror movie and just waiting for the slaughter to begin. Even though I knew Jesus didn't touch a soul on His way to the cross, I cringed for when His army would swoop down and massacre these evil people. It makes me want to get down on my knees and thank God for His mercy and pray for more.

Lord, thank You for having mercy on me. I know that Your slowness to anger is an indication of Your love, not apathy. I know You could erase the whole world in fire and be justified in doing so. Thank You for sparing me.

No comments: