Sunday, February 10, 2008

Leviticus 10,11,12

10:3 "Then Moses said to Aaron, 'It is what the LORD spoke, saying, "By those who come near Me I will be treated as holy, And before all the people I will be honored." ' "

Aaron's sons learn to take God seriously... the hard way.

I was trying to think of a contemporary example of this situation. There's the situation surrounding Annanias and Sapphira, but I thought the Lord's Supper might be easier to relate to. I Corinthians 11:27-32 warns of what happens when we take the Lord's Supper in an unworthy manner.

Before every communion, I make sure to examine my heart and see if there is any unconfessed sin and deal with it prior to taking the wine and bread (or in my church's case, the grape juice and soup cracker). Now that's easy enough, because God is always available to talk to, but what if you have unconfessed sin towards another person?

There was a time when I examined myself and realized an unconfessed sin. I asked God for forgiveness but realized I need to seek forgiveness of the other person involved. I really fought with myself, and the I Corinthians verses flashed through my brain, as did this one in Leviticus and the account of the lying real estate brokers in Acts. I finally succumbed and did not take the communion elements. I was afraid of embarrassment, but I'll tell you what... I was more afraid of God. It's actually reassuring in retrospect, because I know that in a moment where the only one who would know what was going on was God, I submitted. I actually feared I might be struck dead! If you're laughing at that last sentence, read the passage in question again.

So the point is, if you ever find yourself in that position, obey God, put off the communion elements, find your brother or sister, and make it right. Then take communion. As for application for me, I'm going to try to keep growing in my respect and fear of the LORD.

Lord, help me to never forget who You are. You are I AM. You are the Creator. You are the standard for all things. I am dust. Thank You for Your grace and mercy towards we "dust-people".

No comments: