Monday, February 25, 2008

Mark 5:21-43

5:28 "For she thought, 'If I just touch His garments, I will get well.' "

The woman with the chronic bleeding problem expresses her faith in the supreme power of Jesus Christ.

This woman contrasts the other healing taking place during this passage of the dead girl. Her father asked Jesus to come to the girl to heal her, and people scoffed when Jesus nonchalantly suggested bringing her back from the dead. Do we pray to Jesus with the same conviction of the sick woman?

When we petition our God, we know cerebrally that He created the universe and can do anything, but are we really expecting the full onslaught of God's power when we ask for tall orders? Speaking of wisdom from God, James says in 1:6,7 that we need to pray with conviction or expect nothing at all. Understanding that God calls His own shots, we shouldn't be shy about praying for the Lord to heal the sick, save the lost, deliver us from perilous situations, repair broken relationships, etc... Even if it seem impossible, nothing is too much for God.

But be ready to spend time in prayer. God isn't some cosmic "suggestion box" that you can shoot a memo to and figure it will be taken care of in 7-10 business days. I've been praying for reconciliation of a person with God earnestly for the last year and a half or so. There have been a couple of nights when my heart has been so broken for this person that I have come as close as I probably will ever be to wrestling with God as Jacob did. It was intense, and I believe it was as it should be when we are driven by faith to petition the only one who can fix what ails us. And in case you're wondering, I continue to pray for this person and patiently wait to see God's plan for her.

Lord, help me to trust in Your power. I know You are above all, but I need You to be above all my fears and assumptions. Help me to contend with You earnestly when the need arises. Thank You for the privilege of prayer.

No comments: