Saturday, February 23, 2008

Mark 5:1-20

5:6 "Seeing Jesus from a distance, he ran up and bowed down before Him"

The demon(s) inside the man from the Gerasenes is compelled to beg mercy of Jesus upon seeing Him approach.

This scene brought me back to the temptation in the wilderness. In Jesus' first interaction with an unclean spirit (Satan), He was tormented and tempted to usurp God's plan in the first two propositions made by the devil, now we see the unclean spirit tormented by Jesus' very presence. Satan presented the whole earth to Jesus and said "all these things I will give You, if You fall down and worship me", now we see the unclean spirit asking permission if he could be cast into a herd of pigs. Who's got the power?

It was exciting to see this interaction play out in the middle of a ministry marked by the refusal of man to recognize Christ's true position and authority. The evilest of beings saw Christ from a distance, and immediately knew the implications. He knew who he was talking to. If only we had as much respect for Christ. Whenever we ignore the leadings of the Holy Spirit, we are telling Christ "You do not have authority over my life". How stupid is that?

Lord, help me to recognize You for who You are. You are I AM. You created me. You saved me. Help me to put You and You only on the throne of my heart.

No comments: