Thursday, January 3, 2008

Genesis 6,7,8

8:20-21a "Then Noah built an altar to the Lord and, taking some of all the clean animals and clean birds, he sacrificed burnt offerings on it. The Lord smelled the pleasing aroma..."

This sent me back to chapter 4 and the account of Abel's offering. I have also been studying the attributes of God which leaves you with a sense of the awesomeness of God and all those qualities that make Him so great. Then here and in chapter 4, we find that this great God has transcended and given opportunity to His lowly, sinful creation to please Him. That's a pretty amazing thing considering everything that we can (and will) do to displease Him.

This is the answer to feeling of despair and misery when I dwell on my own sin and weakness. While it is appropriate to recognize those things, I can rise from the pit knowing God wants to lift me up for His glory and gives me opportunities to do just that. I take pleasure in the ministries I have and I know they please God, but I also know that they are gifts from God. Just like God provided the birds for Abraham's offering, He will provide my sacrifice.

Lord, help me to remember you want me to glorify you and will help me to do so. Help me to remember that the offerings I give you came from you in the first place and are not to be boasted about.

No comments: