Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Genesis 23,24

24:67 "...and he married Rebekah. So she became his wife, and he loved her..."

Throughout this story we see God orchestrating and controlling events to assure Isaac is given the right companion in marriage. I was touched not only by Abraham's concern that his son have the right wife, but especially the servant who cared to fulfill his master's wish and sought earnestly for God's guidance to and provision of that wife. If only everyone took this care in choosing a mate, giving control of the situation to God. I know our civil courts would be a lot less active for one thing...

So this reminds me of how I came to be joined to my wife, Michelle. Unfortunately, I wasn't as fervent to seek God's guidance on this matter, and so God had to wait until I would stop bumbling around to do His work. In my last year of high school, I pursued and was rejected by the fairer sex for what was probably a record amount of times in a one year span. After much heartbreak, I resolved to stop concerning myself with finding a girlfriend. It was at this point when I removed my faulty decision making skills from the situation that God was able to bring in Michelle.

After getting over my confusion over a girl actually being interested in me, we became an item and the heartbreaks never came back. I now consider what life had been if God had allowed me to continue in the shallow relationships I strived for and I shudder. I reflect on the beautiful family I have and my heart jumps for joy. Michelle matches me perfectly and I love everything that is her and rejoice in the growth I have seen in her and that she has spurred in me. God is so good!

Lord, thank You for Michelle. Help me to never take her for granted and to persevere in serving You by taking care of her. Thank You for Your eternal wisdom.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Dave, your marriage is a testimony to all of us of Christ-like love. I join with you in praising God for His wisdom and guidance for both you and Michelle!

God Made Playdough said...

I'm thankful for Michelle too! And you to of course! Thanks to both of you for your friendship and your servants hearts!