Thursday, January 10, 2008

Genesis 25,26

26:10 "Then Abimelech said, 'What is this you have done to us? One of the men might well have slept with your wife, and you would have brought guilt upon us.' "

I read this and was amazed that the son had walked in the exact same sin as his father. And in the land of the same man, Abimelech! My first thought went back to God's promise to Abraham - 22:18 "and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because you have obeyed me." That is an amazing thing to think about, that the entire world will be blessed and say "blessed be this seed of Abraham!"

But then I think of poor Abimelech. Twice in his life, he had been deceived by this family line. Abraham lied about Sarah, and now Isaac lied about Rebekah. In fear for their own hides, these chosen men of God lied, and made their wives lie as well (how's that for washing them through the Word to present them spotless?). What do you suppose was Abimelech's impression of Abraham and his seed? "Like father, like son", he probably said. He did not feel blessed by this family line, rather he probably felt quite annoyed.

Jesus said "In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." (Mat. 5:16) God has plans for us to be conduits of His blessing. We can proclaim His name and be a part of His great work of salvation; and while all the glory is to God, how many times have you heard someone say: "I am so grateful God brought this person into my life..."

Am I being a conduit of blessing to those around me, or am I pursuing my own ends and thus bring shame to God's name? Abraham and Isaac weren't very good witnesses to Abimelech... am I being a good enough witness to those I know?

I had a pretty good idea once, but unfortunately, I don't use it enough. I put up a diagram on my cubicle wall that says "Which side are you on today?" On one side are the "Deeds of the Flesh" and on the other are the "Fruit of the Spirit" (drawn from Galatians 5:19-23). I can tell you right now that yesterday my conversation was filled with more enmities, strife, disputes, and dissensions, when there should have been more love, joy, peace, patience, and self-control. It was a pretty rough day, but God's holiness doesn't come with a list of exceptions. Let's make sure we're blessing those around us with God's love and goodness.

Lord, help me to be a blessing to those You've put into my life. Help me to guard my speech and my actions to make sure that when others see me, they see a picture of Christ that glorifies Your name.

No comments: