Friday, January 4, 2008

Genesis 9,10,11

11:4 "They said, 'Come, let us build for ourselves a city, and a tower whose top will reach into heaven, and let us make for ourselves a name, otherwise we will be scattered abroad over the face of the whole earth.' "

I wonder how history would have been different if the residents of soon-to-be Babel had said "Come, let us build for the Lord a city, and a tower whose top will reach into heaven, and let us make for the Lord a name." It might have been a precursor to Jerusalem, a place where the world could look to learn about and worship God. Instead it was to become the first World's Fair of human achievement, a celebration of man's greatness.

Do I ever say "Come, let us make for Dave a name"? Do I take greater pleasure in the things that praise God's name or my own? I have a friend with his own blog who posted about our recent evangelistic caroling event (http://outofthemiryclay.wordpress.com/2007/12/18/joy-to-the-neighborhood/). Was I happier to read "Kudos to Dave for organizing caroling with a purpose" or "I took great delight in being able to sing loudly and in public about the greatness of my Savior". I don't know if I like the answer.

I don't know if God likes the answer.

Lord, help me to humble myself and glorify you. Help me to look for opportunities to proclaim your name. Help me to not dwell on opportunities to proclaim my own.

No comments: