Friday, January 4, 2008

Matthew 4

4:3,6,9 "...command these stones become bread... throw yourself down... fall down and worship me"

These are the "propositions" Satan gives Jesus while they are in the desert in this famous scene. I've read this many times, but today it another came to mind as I read it: Heb 4:15 "For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin." I had never considered the temptations put before Jesus might be similar ones put before me. The first deals with focusing on earthly needs and wants above all else and Jesus' reply points us back to God "Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God." The second deals with reversing the role of God and man to the point that we might expect God to bow to our every whim. Jesus reminds us who is in charge: "you shall not put the Lord your God to the test." Lastly, we may be presented with the opportunity to turn our back on God for the sake of personal advancement. Maybe a little cheating will score a better grade on the exam. Maybe a little gossip and slander will clear the way for a promotion. Maybe a little relaxing of our moral code will win us those cool friends. Jesus again points the attention where it should be: "you shall worship the Lord your God and serve Him only."

Have I recently focuses on earthly things rather than heavenly things? This plan has helped me to see how last year my daily Bible reading was minuscule compared to everything else I did. Have I prayed to God with an attitude of delivering projects to be completed in a timely manner, or with an attitude of humble petition? I'll go on a limb and say I think I'm alright in this area. Have I compromised God's law for material growth or human approval? I can think of a few times recently that I have failed on that one.

Lord, help me to follow the example of your perfect Son and rebut temptation with your Holy Word. I know it will protect and sustain me, but I know I don't consume enough of it. Thank you for this exercise Pastor has presented us with and help me to be faithful in it so I can walk in your will and good pleasure.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Dave, I have one more prayer request for your list; I'm praying you keep faithful with these great posts! It has been a wonderful blessing to read these after spending time in the same passages myself. Your insights have been rich and they have given me specific things to be praying for you each day. Keep it up!... and praise the LORD for doing this in you! :)