Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Exodus 1,2,3

3:11,14a "But Moses said to God, 'Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?' "

"God said to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM' "

The verses I picked out bracket the beginning and the end of Moses replying to God speaking through the burning bush. When first charged with returning to Egypt, Moses' focus was on himself - "who am I?". At the end of the discussion God reveals immeasurable truth in a small package that directs the focus back to Himself - "I AM WHO I AM".

I recently was studying the attributes of God. It's funny how focusing more on God can make you feel so weak, yet so safe at the same time. Moses was right to acknowledge his own deficiencies, but he was wrong to despair over them. Our strength is in the Lord, and the effectiveness of our ministries depend on how much we submit them to His control. God can do anything and we have the privilege of being a part of His plan. We just have to remember who's plan it is and who's power is being wielded.

Lord, Help me to focus less on myself and more on You. Help me to be less worried about my problems and more worried about Your name's glory.

No comments: