Sunday, January 6, 2008

Matthew 5:27-48

5:44 "But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you"

One of many more examples of internalizing the moral law of God. It's one thing to refrain from slapping your enemy in the chops, but it's a whole other deal to love them and pray for them. This relates back to my last entry in Matthew - we are to love others because God loves them as his prized creation. All men are made in the image of God. Who might our enemies be? I'm not in the armed services, so my enemies don't stand out as easily. Pastor preached on this over a year ago, and it still comes to mind very vividly. I couldn't think of an enemy until I remembered a coworker who had blown up at me for no rational reason. It hit me then that I was harboring bitterness for this woman and she was my enemy. Anyone we are holding bitterness, animosity, or disdain towards can be considered our enemy, so keep that in mind when you're praying.

As for application to myself, I continue to deal with the "love your enemy" part, but the thought that hit me tonight when I read this was the "pray for those who persecute you" part. I thought "who persecutes me?" Well, there's the guy at work who beat me during the year in fantasy football. He relentlessly persecuted me about that (until I exacted revenge in our league's Superbowl!), so I guess I should pray for him. Wait a second, was Jesus talking about people harassing us for things as silly as fantasy sports? Let's check out 5:11 - "Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me" So then I get to thinking, when was the last time that someone persecuted me because of my belief in Jesus? It's been a while....... well, I must just be blessed to live in a sphere of people who tolerate my beliefs. Lucky me!

2 Tim. 3:12 - "Indeed all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will be persecuted."

Well that doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy. So apparently the fact that no one has hassled me regarding my faith recently is a bad thing? Jesus doesn't say "if you happen to be persecuted, bless the persecutors", He assumes we will be persecuted. It sounds to me like I need to make a little more noise about what I believe in... let's go make some enemies!
...In a manner of speaking.

Lord, help me to regard those that deride me not as my enemies, but as your enemies that you long to reconcile. And help me to always reflect Your nature so that when I am persecuted, it is only for Your name's sake, and ultimately Your glory.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Ouch! Reading your blog can be hazardous to my comfort! I think some of your conviction got on me!