Saturday, January 5, 2008

Matthew 5:1-26

5:22 "But I tell you that anyone who is angry with his brother will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to his brother, 'Raca' is answerable to the Sanhedrin. But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell."


Jesus begins his examples of how the people have been observing God's laws externally while the idea all along has been that we would follow them internally. He begins with the concept of murder. God loves all mankind; aside from the fact that He has told us this, it is evident in His actions towards all man (He is long-suffering towards evil people, He sent His Son to die for us, etc...). For one to murder another is to view that person with such contempt as to destroy them in the most extreme way that we are able. To have that contempt for a loved, precious creation of God is what is the problem here. So Jesus gets to the point when He says that it doesn't matter if you don't actually follow the hatred through to it's end, but that very contempt offends God because you are hating His possession.


So how far are we willing to obey here? Are we willing to change our vernacular? Can I expunge the words "dummy", "idiot", "dolt", and any other word that shows contempt for fellow man from my vocabulary? That's going to be tough, because those slip off my tongue quite easily. And let's say I was even able to carry out that tall order, can I refrain from even thinking those things? That seems pretty insurmountable, but the Word gives us help, as always. Colossians 3 shows us that we can't just focus on the things to "put off" (in this case, ill will towards others), but we need to "put on." If I can change my view of all men as the much-loved possessions of my heavenly Father, it will be harder for me to hate them. I need to learn to view others as God views them.


Lord, help to have Your eyes. Help me to learn the love You have for mankind. Help not to focus on how other are wronging me, but how I can help them come closer to You and glorify Your name.

No comments: