Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Matthew 11

11:27 "All things have been handed over to Me by My Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father; nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and anyone to whom the Son wills to reveal Him."

The source of all wisdom and truth is immeasurably deep. But how wretched are humans that we cannot have any of it? Our sin separates us from the wisdom and truth that sets us free, blesses us, causes us to walk in the way that is in our truest best interest. How sad. BUT... Jesus is the tap to the Father's vat of wisdom and truth. How wonderful is that! He has revealed God, made visible the invisible. How often do we take that for granted?!

I'm a pretty smart guy, or so I think. I've been in Bible studies, Sunday school classes, had very deep, spiritual discussions with deep, spiritual people. I even own a Greek New Testament! But I don't let that get to my head, right? I wish I didn't. More often than not, I find I have to work to keep myself from trying to think of the perfect sentence to spit out that will impress someone within earshot. That's why, after reading this passage, I'm going to write this verse down in a couple places in my Bible study tools, and underline "to whom the Son wills". What makes me think that I'm so special? I'll tell you that I've met enough smart people to have realized I'm not that smart. Humility is not my strong suit, but I'm confident that it's on God's mind and that He's going to keep working on me and complete the work He started until I'm complete.

Lord, help me to remember that You are the source of all good things and that You distribute all good things. Help me to have humility in my search to know You more. Help me not to lord over others the blessings You have granted me. Help me to use those blessings to bless others.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Glad to see you back on the web! I missed your thoughts those days you were off. I also appreciate your honesty in this post; pride is sneaky and so hard to fight. I'll join with you in praying for spiritual eyes to see those areas of pride in your life. Please pray the same for me regarding my life.