Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Matthew 7

7:12,28,29 "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the law and the Prophets... When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at His teaching, because He taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law"

What struck me here is the wonder of Christ as the Word of God, explaining God and His Word. Can you imagine if your pastor made some short comment and followed it up with "this sums up the whole Bible", I'm sure snickers would ensue. Who can sum up the Word of God? It is a vast, immeasurable well of wisdom and truth! But Jesus was able to do this! And not only was He able to explain and summarize the Word of God, but He did so with authority! That is significant in distinguishing Him from just being a great teacher, but being the source of wisdom and truth itself.

I wonder after reflecting on this, where do I go for wisdom? There are a lot of voices vying for my attention; friends, family, talk show hosts, bloggers, etc... And there is wisdom to be found among these sources, but you have to work to discern and weed out the nuggets of truth. Why not first go to the source of all wisdom and all truth? Glory be to God that He showed grace in sending His Son to explain the unfathomable and reveal the invisible! I know I understand the Word in this way, but I think sometimes I take it for granted. This journaling exercise has shown me how the Word is living and active, and certainly sharper than any two-edged sword.

Lord, help me to run to Your Word for all comfort, joy, wisdom, and direction. Thank You for sending Your Son to explain Yourself to us. Help me to never forget that great gift and to share it with others.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

Amen. How often we take this overwhelming blessing for granted!