Saturday, January 19, 2008

Genesis 44-45

45:7 "God sent me before you to preserve for you a remnant in the earth, and to keep you alive by a great deliverance."

God shows His wisdom and power in using the brother's evil plan to work His plan of deliverance and sustain His promise to Abraham. Without the friend in high places (Joseph), Jacob's family might well have died in the famine. But God, as always, remained in control and patiently continued with His blueprint of grace.

So I was thinking, if God can use evil plans to His glory and good, He most certainly can use stupid plans. This is significant to me as I can normally think of more stupid things that I do than overtly evil things (although those are in no short order, either). And while some of these plans don't have long-term ramifications (like trying to carry a huge dresser from my backyard to the front by myself), some do. My kids come to mind. Now, I've been to the classes at church, entreated wise people for guidance, sought God's wisdom, and prayed a lot for my kids, but I know me and me is stupid. I mess up sometimes. And what gets me down is the feeling that I'm not just messing up one of my responsibilities, but I'm messing up my kids. I love my kids and I want the best for them... unfortunately, I'm not the best.

But....

God is! And just like in Joseph's day, God can and will overcome. I'm still trying to learn this one, but God has a plan for my sons, and I'm just blessed to have a part in it. It doesn't go the other way around! I will continue to do my best, but I need to continually follow Hannah's model and offer my kids to God's will. I hope the best for them, only God can deliver just that.

Lord, help me to submit to Your will. Your will is the only perfect will. Help me to surrender my family to Your perfect will. Help me to show my sons that I am just their earthly steward and that their true father is so much greater than I.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

From one daddy to another, thanks for the great reminder, Dave.