Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Matthew 2

2:16 "When Herod realized that he had been outwitted by the Magi, he was furious, and he gave orders to kill all the boys in Bethlehem and its vicinity who were two years old and under, in accordance with the time he had learned from the Magi."

There's a movie that just came out called "The Golden Compass." It's based on the first of a trilogy of books written by an atheist whose stated goal is to "kill God." The film is heavily marketed towards children and very subversive. If you dwell on it, it's kind of scary, and one can fall into the thinking that a person has come who is going to turn people away from God and wage an effective battle on Christianity. But as we can see, people have been waging battle on God for a long, long time. And as is seen here, Herod was trying the same thing, but in a much more aggressive and brutal manner than any atheist novelist. And God prevails every time.

I need to understand the sovereignty of God transcends to all things including atheist novelists, gifted debaters who challenge me on the gospel, and anyone who hates Christ. When I witness, I shouldn't do so in fear or concern for how well I can present it. God is in control and can even use my mangled sentences for His glory.

Lord, help me to trust in you, the everlasting God who cannot be thwarted. Help me to be comforted in the knowledge that my best is nothing compared to you, but you can still use me.

1 comment:

Dave Allen said...

Incidently, I just went to boxofficemojo.com and found that so far, "Golden Compass" has made about $150 million, which is 83% of what it cost to make it. Comparatively, "Alvin and the Chipmunks" was released a week later and has made more money ($157 million), for a better return (262% of cost of production).