Thursday, January 3, 2008

Matthew 3

3:9 "And do not think you can say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.' I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham."


John here chastises the Pharisees and Sadducees for putting their faith in genealogy, tradition, works or anything other than the saving grace of God. In Ephesians, Paul list things that people could put their faith in besides God and calls them "a loss" and "rubbish." It makes you wonder if you are ever putting your faith in something undeserving. Have I ever thought I'm a better christian than brother A because I've just completed a rigorous Bible study? Have I ever thought I'm a better christian than sister B because I've conquered a particular sin she is still struggling with?


With my family history, I can (and have) run into the trap of leaning on the "faith of my fathers." I can be thankful for the solid saints in my family, but I can never think that their spiritual maturity (which is the work of God in their lives) automatically translates to myself. I have to constantly watch for any level of pride and humble myself before the God whose chose me, not the other way around.


Lord, help me to remember I am nothing without You, and that nothing I do or anyone I'm related to can save me from the hell I deserve. Help me to run to you and you alone for my salvation.

No comments: