Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Genesis 36,37

37:7,8 " 'We were binding sheaves of grain out in the field when suddenly my sheaf rose and stood upright, while your sheaves gathered around mine and bowed down to it.' His brothers said to him, 'Do you intend to reign over us? Will you actually rule us?' And they hated him all the more because of his dream and what he had said."

This passage reminded me of I Corinthians 13. I'll paraphrase a bit here: If Joseph relates a dream from God, but does not have love, he has become a clanging cymbal. If his brothers hear him relate this truth, but do not have love, they become a hateful mob. Joseph had a remarkable gift to both have prophetic dreams and to correctly interpret dreams, but his brothers couldn't see past their own pride. It isn't as obvious, but it would seem Joseph was more excited to flaunt his gifts than to share the blessings of his gifts with his brothers.

Where is my love? Do I have love for those around me at the forefront when interacting with them? If I correct a brother, is it in love? If I'm receiving correction, do I take it in love? Or am I more concerned with how the interaction affects me? Does my own pride keep me from the blessing God has prepared in love-filled interactions?

Lord, help me to keep love infused in all my interactions with my fellow man. Help subside my pride and keep the interests of others as more important than my own. Help me to love others as You love me.

No comments: