Thursday, January 10, 2008

Matthew 9:1-17

9:13 "But go and learn what this means: 'I desire compassion, and not sacrifice,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners"

A famous scene of Jesus reaching out the the rejected dregs of society. Now, there are those who would be quick to point to this as an example of the modern-day idea of "tolerance". The key here, though is that Jesus says He came to call sinners. That isn't to say that the Pharisees questioning Him were righteous; they were far from it! But they were not at all aware of their need for a savior. Matthew dropped what he was doing and followed Jesus because he reacted internally to Jesus' call. But the Pharisees couldn't see past the outside works of themselves and everyone around them to see the inward need of salvation.

Do I ever pick and choose who I will talk to about the Lord? Last time I checked, God is the one who chooses the elect, so I better be careful that I'm not elevating myself to that position. God alone knows who He will draw to Himself, so my responsibility is to see all people in the same light. Everyone around me needs the Lord, and they are to be reached out to.

Lord, help me to see people as You see them, fallen sinners who need Your Son. Help me not to discriminate who I witness to, but to spread Your gospel to anyone who will listen.

No comments: