Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Genesis 20,21,22

22:8 "Abraham answered, 'God Himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son.' And the two of them went on together."

Within the context of when Abraham said this, it's quite sad. Abraham knows the "lamb" to be provided is his own son. Knowing the end of the story, it's kind of neat because we know about the ram in the thicket. But... knowing the REAL end of the story, it's amazing! Imagine when you first understood your depraved state. You may ask yourself in that instant "when and how is God going to exact His judgment for my sins?" The answer is "don't worry, God Himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering!"

Do I realize often enough that I was a victim of my own demise, rescued to safety? I wonder how long survivors of tragic events (floods, eathquakes, etc...) remember their rescue and dwell on it? Does it affect their lives every day and inspire them to live life to their fullest? I would assume that these type of survivors appreciate their rescue more than the typical christian. Yet they were only saved from the destruction of their finite earthly bodies while we have been rescued from eternal punishment and pain! Not to mention our salvation from the control of sin in this life! I'm going to try to reflect on that today and consider where I could be right now to then rejoice in where I am.

Lord, help me to never forget Your provided the Lamb in place of me. Help me to remember that my salvation was Your sacrifice, not mine. Help this truth to have its effect on me in my attitude and in sharing Your truth with others.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog Dave.

Do you read Utmost by chance? Today he talks about this passage and how it is a picture of the blunder we often make in thinking the final thing God wants from us is the sacrifice in death. I love Utmost and have never really caught it this way but I wonder what others think of Chambers comments. Surely he isn't saying that Abraham was mistaken in offering his son? He is obviously clear about God's goodness and provision. I am a bit flummoxed with regard to how this is drawn out.