Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Matthew 15:21-39

15:33 "The disciples said to Him, 'Where would we get so many loaves in this desolate place to satisfy such a large crowd?' "

As quickly as Jesus states His plan, the disciples put their earthly limitations at the forefront. Despite seeing Jesus do many miraculous things (including feeding more people than those before them on this day!), they doubted.

God reveals His will, we start listing obstacles. If we know what God is capable of through biblical and ecclesiastical history and through our own christian walk, why do we doubt His power sometimes? My church has a long term goal of upgrading our facilities. Whether this be by building a new structure or buying a new building, it will be a monumental task. When I even begin to think about those options, I just think "that would cost way more money than we could scrounge up!" How dumb is that? If it turns out to be God's will that we get a new building, God could make it suddenly appear next Sunday morning! Do I really think that a contractor could give us a bill that would stagger God?

My goal should be to seek out God's will. And when He is gracious enough to show it, I should act and act with conviction. There will be obstacles, but God loves them. God loves to show guys like me just how He can overcome anything the world throws at His plans. Instead of being worried about how it will all work out, I should be excited to see how God is going to glorify His name next.

Lord, help me not to doubt Your eternal power. You can do all things and I want to be a part of it. Help me to get excited about Your will and do whatever You ask to accomplish it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember hearing the phrase "Professing believer, practicing atheist" meaning that although we say we believe in God's power, we live as though God's power can not influence our world. This passage is the perfect example of people who surrounded Jesus because they said they believed and then sought solutions as though he were an ordinary man. We all do the same thing, so I'm not being too hard on them. Just re-expressing your thoughts. Dad